There is no Love sincerer than the love of food — George Bernard Shaw
World Food Day 2021 — World Food Day is an international day celebrated every year worldwide on 16 October to commemorate the date of the founding of the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization in 1945. It is an initiative by the Food and Agricultural Organisation (FAO) of the United Nations.
The global event marks a day calling for worldwide awareness and collective action to combat the issue of hunger and ensure healthy diets for all — the whole of humanity.
World Food Day 2021: Theme | Celebrating Food Heroes
2021, the emphasis is on celebrating food heroes or individuals who have contributed to building a sustainable world where no one has to go hungry. The idea is that we all can be food heroes and contribute to the idea of building a hunger-free world.
Why is world food day celebrated?
The FAO website highlights some shocking statistics about food and hunger, as well as the agri-food system.
- Almost 40% of the world’s population cannot afford a healthy diet.
- 2 million people are obese or overweight due to poor diet and sedentary lifestyles.
- The world’s food systems are responsible for more than 33% of global greenhouse gas emissions.
- 14% of the world’s food is lost due to inadequate harvesting, handling, storage, and transit, and 17% is wasted at a consumer level.
- The world’s agri-food systems employ over 1 billion people which is more than any other sector.
What can we do to reduce food waste?
We can all be food heroes and do our bit to help.
As an individual, it is important to learn from nature by ‘acting with nature’. Here are a few ways you can begin to take action:
- Choose a healthy diet and avoid ultra-processed foods, to influence what the market provides us and maintain a healthy body and environment.
- Select products which are healthy for you and sustainable for the environment too. Read the labels and packaging carefully before selecting the products.
- Improve food storage and reduce wastage at home. — “Buy what you use and use it all!”
- Start our green patch of fruits, vegetables, or herbs.
- Support small farmers and local producers to nurture local ecosystems.
We can all become Food Heroes!
Our actions are our future and the future in our hands!